Rubbish / Trash Collection
Residential refuse collection services are contracted by the City of Commerce with CalMet Services Inc. There is no charge to residents of the City for residential trash collection service. Residential trash pickup days are normally scheduled as follows:
- Rosini Area / East of Atlantic Boulevard - West of Eastern Avenue
- West of the Long Beach (710) Freeway
- Southeast area north of the Southern Pacific Railroad line (better known as the freeway housing tract)
- Bristow / Northwest Area
- Ferguson Drive
- Rosewood Area
- The Village
- Veterans Area / Southeast Area - South of the Southern Pacific Railroad
Bulky Item Pick-Up Services
Items such as couches, rugs, refrigerators, water heaters and other household items will be picked up on the regularly scheduled day for each area. Bushes, branches, lumber, etc., must be tied in bundles, and all items must be placed at curb or in alley (if that is the location where your trash bins are picked up on regular basis) prior to the rubbish collector's 6:00 am start time. Stumps, logs and steel pipe over 4 feet long will not be picked up.
- Large item pick-ups are made on the resident's regular service day.
- All items must be placed at the resident's curb by 6:00 am on collection day.
Items Not Eligible for Large Item Pick-Up
- Construction material (concrete, asphalt, bricks, dirt, etc.)
- Animals - Please contact Animal Control at (323) 887-4460 ext. 2236
- Car, truck, motorcycle, boat and trailer bodies or vehicle parts of any kind
- Hazardous waste, including motor oil, oil filters, brake fluid, paint, paint thinner, turpentine, cleaning solvents with acid or lye, pesticides or herbicides, household or vehicle batteries and pool chemicals
Residents must call CalMet Services at (562) 259-1239 for large item pick-up at least 24 hours in advance of their collection day.
For more information, please call the Environmental Services Division at (323) 722-4805 ext.2812.
Curbside Holiday Tree Pick-Up
Beginning December 26th through January 17th, CalMet offers curbside Holiday Tree (Including Flocked Trees) disposal and recycling for residential customers. Just place your holiday tree curbside on your regular service day and they'll take it from there.
Please ensure your tree is free from ornaments, tinsel and plastic tree bags. And, don’t forget to remove your tree stand.
If your tree is taller than 4ft, please cut it into two pieces prior to "Green Waste Bin" disposal.
If you would like a holiday tree picked up after January 17th please contact Calmet Services at (562) 259-1239 to schedule a bulky item pick-up.
The City encourages reusing artificial Christmas trees in place of real trees. This will reduce the amount of trees needing to be removed from the environment and recycled.
CalMet Services Holiday Schedule
Please note: Service on these days, and for the remainder of the week, will be delayed by one day.
Commerce residents, follow the links below to receive up-to-date Commerce service area information:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
CalMet Services Inc. - Commerce
CalMet S.O.R.T. Report - Winter 2019
For more information relating to refuse collection, please contact the Public Works and Development Services Department at (323) 722-4805 Ext. 2812