Recycling is the process of collecting and processing materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turning them into new products. Recycling can benefit our community and the environment.
Benefits of Recycling
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations
California's Ban On Plastic Bags
Under the law, stores are required to offer customers recycled paper bags or bags made of compostable material at a cost of at least 10 cents. This bill passing is a step in the right direction, it reduces plastic polluting at the beaches, parks, and the ocean. Learn about the State of California's ban on plastic bags.
Recycle A New Or Used Mattress
California's Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Act requires mattress manufacturers to create a statewide recycling program for mattresses discarded in the state. For more information visit the Mattress Recycling Council (MRC).
To find a mattress recycler near you, search for a city, state, or zip near you at byebyemattress or go to the following location:
Gateway Mattress Co., Inc.
624 South Vail
Montebello, CA 90640
Website: Gateway Mattress Co., Inc.
When files and documents have outlived their usefulness you can recycle those papers by choosing bulk shredding as an option. Not only can you feel secure in protecting your sensitive information, but you can also make a difference by diverting waste from the landfill.
5 Benefits of Recycling Paper
- Recycling Paper Helps the Environment.
- Recycling Paper is Economically Responsible.
- Recycling Reduces Waste and Improves Efficiency.
- Recycling Paper Promotes a Clean Green Image.
- Recycling Paper Produces Jobs.
There are two certified document destruction locations that offer residential drop off shredding services in Commerce:
5928 S. Malt Ave
Commerce, CA 90040
Upon arrival of the facility, you will fill out a drop-off form in the reception area. If you only have 1 or 2 standard boxes, you can bring them in with you. Otherwise, staff will assist you in placing your confidential documents into a secure lockable bin. A box count will be confirmed and payment will be finalized with a drop-off certificate and receipt. Your documents will be shredded within one business day.
- $3.00 per file storage box or equivalent ( about 35 lbs – bags accepted)
- $10.00 per hard drive
If you would like to witness your documents or media being shredded when using the drop-off process, service can be scheduled on:
Wednesdays by appointment only
8:00 am – 11:00 am
$3.00 / box + $25.00 witness fee
Call 800-987-4733, Sales for an appointment.
6000 S. Eastern Ave
Commerce, CA 90040
Website: The Shredders
The Shredders have provided secure shredding & hard drive destruction for more than 20 years. Documents are not sorted or separated, instead the bins are dumped into high-speed shredders by state licensed security guards. These shredders have the capacity to shred over 20,000 pounds per hour. This sustainable shredding process turns your material into confetti-size particles, instead of the strip shred that most other companies provide. Everything is destroyed within 24 hours.
FREE Shredding Services:
- Offered every first Saturday of the month between 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Unlimited amount of boxes of paper are accepted (paper clips and staples are not allowed)
- A Certificate of Destruction will not be provided.